FB pixel

Household Cleaners and Room Refreshers That Can Be Toxic For Pets

by | Apr 14, 2020

When it comes to cleaning and refreshing our homes, products deemed safe for people are not always safe for pets.

For example, phenol, a corrosive organic compound found in many household and construction products, is toxic to cats. This is because cats lack certain liver enzymes, affecting their liver metabolism and resulting in the inability to clean it out of their bloodstream. This is why cats are  more sensitive to many drugs and chemicals than dogs or people.

Phenol poisoning can occur in both cats and dogs if they chewing or ingesting products containing phenols or through topical exposure, which includes fumes. It builds up to toxic levels and causes symptoms that if left untreated, often lead to death. It is best to avoid any product ending sol.

Household products that contain phenol include:

  • Lysol
  • Pine-Sol

Other common ingredients found in many surface, floor, bathroom, carpet and window cleaners can be harmful to both cats and dogs, depending on the concentration. These include bleach, ammonia, chlorine, formaldehyde and isopropyl alcohol.

Signs of poisoning include a rash or burn on the skin if the contact was direct and if ingested, lethargy, seizures, vomiting and diarrhea. Airborne fumes can cause skin and eye irritation or breathing problems, especially for pets with asthma.

Please be aware that ultra-concentrated bleach can cause chemical burns and lesions both internally and externally.

Generally, diluted bleach can be safe to use. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the surface or item cleaned with the bleach and air out the area.

Although less common, symptoms of toxicity can occur with diluted bleach. These include drooling (especially in cats) and redness and irritation of the skin and in and around the mouth. A pet may paw at their mouth or act abnormal.

Because cats and dogs can be very sensitive to scents, it is also a good idea to opt for non-toxic, fragrance free laundry detergents and dish soaps.

It’s not all doom and gloom! Fortunately, there are many excellent safe and non-toxic products that are widely available by companies including Seventh Generation, Method, Ecos and more.

Room Refreshers

Although plug ins are a convenient way to freshen a room, they can be toxic for pets. Most contain volatile organic compounds, which are chemicals that have a high vapor pressure at room temperature. This allows them to evaporate from a solid or a liquid into the air. The transformation is called volatility. Basically, this is what plug ins are meant to do; break down and evaporate into the air.

There are plug ins that feature essential oils. Often people assume that this means they are safe. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. Many essential oils contain phenols and can be very toxic to cats. Whether taken internally, applied topically or inhaled, exposure to these oils can lead to liver damage, liver failure, seizures or even death.

The following oils are known to contain phenols:

  • Wintergreen
  • Peppermint
  • Citrus
  • Tea tree
  • Pine
  • Eucalyptus
  • Cinnamon
  • Pennyroyal
  • Sweet birch
  • Clove
  • Ylang ylang

Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, vomiting, tremors, ataxia, breathing problems, low heart rate, low blood pressure and liver failure.

If properly diluted, these oils can be beneficial. It is important to consult with a holistic or integrative veterinarian before treating a cat with any essential oil.

Other room refreshers should also be avoided, including:

  • Potpourri – if a pet decides to nibble on the dried matter, it can cause digestive issues or even an obstruction.
  • Scented candles – When inhaled by cats and dogs, can cause irritation.
  • Room Sprays – can trigger an asthma attack or coughing in susceptible pets. This is especially true for dogs with collapsing trachea, kennel cough, bronchitis and other issues.
  • Incense – most pets are sensitive to smoke. In addition, essential oils are often used to create the scents.

Instead of using chemicals and harmful compounds to freshen the home, consider  an Air Purifier.

Our pets mean the world to us. Let’s make their world as safe as possible.

Household Cleaners and Room Refreshers That Can Be Toxic For Pets

by | Apr 14, 2020

When it comes to cleaning and refreshing our homes, product deemed safe for people are not always safe for pets.

For example, phenol, a corrosive organic compound found in many household and construction products, is toxic to cats. This is because cats lack certain liver enzymes, affecting their liver metabolism and resulting in the inability to clean it out of their bloodstream. This is why cats are  more sensitive to many drugs and chemicals than dogs or people.

Phenol poisoning can occur in both cats and dogs if they chewing or ingesting products containing phenols or through topical exposure, which includes fumes. It builds up to toxic levels and causes symptoms that if left untreated, often lead to death. It is best to avoid any product ending sol.

Household products that contain phenol include:

  • Lysol
  • Pine Sol

Other common ingredients found in many surface, floor, bathroom, carpet and window cleaners can be harmful to both cats and dogs, depending on the concentration. These include bleach, ammonia, chlorine, formaldehyde and isopropyl alcohol.

Signs of poisoning include a rash or burn on the skin if the contact was direct and if ingested, lethargy, seizures, vomiting and diarrhea. Airborne fumes can cause skin and eye irritation or breathing problems, especially for pets with asthma.

Please be aware that ultra-concentrated bleach can cause chemical burns and lesions both internally and externally.

Generally, diluted bleach can be safe to use. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the surface or item cleaned with the bleach and air out the area.

Although less common, symptoms of toxicity can occur with diluted bleach. These include drooling (especially in cats) and redness and irritation of the skin and in and around the mouth. A pet may paw at their mouth or act abnormal.

Because cats and dogs can be very sensitive to scents, it is also a good idea to opt for non-toxic, fragrance free laundry detergents and dish soaps.

It’s not all doom and gloom! Fortunately, there are many excellent safe and non-toxic products that are widely available by companies including Seventh Generation, Method, Ecos and more.

Room Refreshers

Although plug ins are a convenient way to freshen a room, they can be toxic for pets. Most contain volatile organic compounds, which are chemicals that have a high vapor pressure at room temperature. This allows them to evaporate from a solid or a liquid into the air. The transformation is called volatility. Basically, this is what plug ins are meant to do; break down and evaporate into the air.

There are plug ins that feature essential oils. Often people assume that this means they are safe. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. Many essential oils contain phenols and can be very toxic to cats. Whether taken internally, applied topically or inhaled, exposure to these oils can lead to liver damage, liver failure, seizures or even death.

The following oils are known to contain phenols:

  • Wintergreen
  • Peppermint
  • Citrus
  • Tea tree
  • Pine
  • Eucalyptus
  • Cinnamon
  • Pennyroyal
  • Sweet birch
  • Clove
  • Ylang ylang

Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, vomiting, tremors, ataxia, breathing problems, low heart rate, low blood pressure and liver failure.

If properly diluted, these oils can be beneficial. It is important to consult with a holistic or integrative veterinarian before treating a cat with any essential oil.

Other room refreshers should also be avoided, including:

  • Potpourri – if a pet decides to nibble on the dried matter, it can cause digestive issues or even an obstruction.
  • Scented candles – When inhaled by cats and dogs, can cause irritation.
  • Room Sprays – can trigger an asthma attack or coughing in susceptible pets. This is especially true for dogs with collapsing trachea, kennel cough, bronchitis and other issues.
  • Incense – most pets are sensitive to smoke. In addition, essential oils are often used to create the scents.

Instead of using chemicals and harmful compounds to freshen the home, consider  an Air Purifier.

Our pets mean the world to us. Let’s make their world as safe as possible.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share